Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Big 3

I don't remember if I heard it at a seminar, read it on the internet or made it up myself (okay, pretty confident I didn't make it up myself) but I have never forgotten it.  I am going to credit Walt Mueller from CPYU for it because it seems to me he was the one who penned it.   I try to live it out in real time.  A few weeks ago, in my prep for a speaking engagement, I wrote down the phrase "Journey with a purpose."  It has rang in my head ever since, and these 3 statements give fuel to that engine: 

1.  Know the unchanging Word
2.  Know changing people in a changing world
3.  Take the unchanging Word to changing people in a changing world

Pretty straight up.  Purpose to spend time marinating in God's word.  It's truths are unchanging, eternal, right.  Purpose to understand your neighbor, your co-workers, your friends, your community, and your world.   Don't let the latest technological advances freak you out.  Purpose to engage those people with unchanging truths that breathe life, hope & joy.   That means creatively and relevantly communicating to your community.  What works in your context.  Downtown Vancouver is going to look a lot different than MooseJaw, Sasksatchewan.

So how are you doing with those 3? I'd love to hear stories of how you live this out.

(FYI - Moosejaw was my birthplace and I kid you not, the name of the physician who helped out with the birth, Dr. Gas - I know, there are so many places to unleash with that one.  Okay, let's stop because, seriously, this whole thing has the potential to back fire.  I don't want to float any air biscuits here or we will never recover from the explosive nature of all the crop dusting comments about being from Saskatchewan.  For the record, people no longer live in covered wagons, Dutch ovens are used only for special occasions, and breaking wind is almost impossible.  There is no point dropping bombs about being from the SK.   So please everyone, don't bother squeezing out cutesy little catch phrases or trying to ignite a hot debate about the thunder being louder in BC than SK.  I would rather you be silent than deadly.  I am not pulling anyone's finger here nor serving up any air bagels.  I want this blog to be a breath of fresh air.  So here's my one gun salute to igniting a conversation about the real theme of this\posting.) 

I don't know about you, but I just had to open a window... for some reason it is getting really hot in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment