Monday, April 19, 2010

It's Only Monday

I was locked and loaded in the pulpit this past weekend.  If you missed it and desperate to see it, like I know so many of you are (clear throat here), check out all the deets here.

In my prep, I came across a little vid from Francis Chan's Blog.  I haven't been able to shake it.  Mostly because I am right there. 

We are in the end stages of building a house, and it has been a rough ride.  (specifically relating to finances).  It was a tough decision for us to begin with, but it was the most cost effective way to get into a house with a suite.  You know you are on the cheap when every supplier you walk into starts off with, "So, you're the Lanigan's.  We understand that we aren't doing any upgrades.  Well, let's get serious, we aren't really doing anything are we."   Or as my incredible wife penned it, "A Pottery Barn look with a Walmart budget."   Come on, most suppliers figure it out before you get in the door when they see you drive up in a 2003 Honda Accord.  We cut some cost by doing all the cleaning of the site and taking care of all the interior painting.  (Note:  I have banned the words spackle and dapping for the next 7 generations of our offspring.  You know you've painted just a wee bit too much when an elderly woman in a wheelchair asks to cut in line at the drugstore and you utter the phrase "I'll show you cutting in sister" and kick her chair over - it's okay, she was not injured badly)   Let me tell you, painting is not for the feint of heart.  But the question keeps rattling around in my head, 'Did we do the right thing?'   What was our motivation anyway?  There have been many sleepless nights wondering, worrying and begging God to show up.  What is my expectation of him?  How much am I trying to control?   Watch the video and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment