Thursday, April 8, 2010

Leadership Chops

I am always looking for my leadership envelope to be pushed. I really do not want to be satisfied with the assumption that somehow I have "arrived" at being a complete leader. Let's just say I am 96% there. Take a joke people. So here is some beefing up for your Leadership (parenting) chops.


I listened to a podcast from Andy Stanley today. Pastor boy from North Point Community Church in Atalanta. His focus was the principle of "Do to one what you can't do for all." He reminded leaders that you cannot possibly do everything you want to for everyone in your staff. And he challenged the value of "fairness." Suggesting that "fairness" gets in the way of "rightness." I would fully agree. When we try and be fair, we de-value individuals. I struggle with this everyday in parenting. I fail when I try and treat every one of my kids the same. My 11 year old boy has way different needs than my 5 year old girl. On top of that, who they are and what they enjoy is completely different - so what does fair look like in that context? You will never succeed as a parent if you try and treat every kid the same "fair" way. More often than not, you don't do something for any of your kids because all is not possible. Too much money, too little enjoyment... whatever. What is right, is valuing each kid for who they are and what they like and meeting them at those junctures.

"Do to one what you can't do for all."

Stanley challenges the leader (and parent) to not let the fact that you can't so something for everyone hold you back from doing something for one. Make that person's day today, and aim for someone else the next day. Be in the moment with each conversation, each individual and the value will be huge.

To often I have been running on the value of fair and not the value of right. I gotta make a change.  How about you?  How are your values lining up? 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for the insight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In life, parenting, leading there is being fair and then there is being equal. Two very different things. Thanks Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Scott. I totally agree. :)

    ReplyDelete