Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Question

As I was gleefully driving away from my last Wednesday meeting, I flipped on the radio and heard an interview with the author of a book talking about growing up in Britian.  Apparently, his characters were quite edgy while being slightly cathartic (I have no clue what that means just typed it in here to sound super smart, which I realize now I completely blew, because I just used the phrase "super smart").  Therefore, the author was asked the question, "What made you develop characters like that?"  To which he replied, "I guess when you pass the 40 mark you tend to reflect on your life.  As I did that, it made me think of the question... If when I was 15 years old, I would have met myself today, what would I say about who I am and what I have become?"

That is a great question, I thought to myself.  Well, that was until I just about took off the back bumper of the guy hammering his brakes in front of me.  Apparently there was a large group of invisible children crossing the road in front of us.  After passing him and giving him the sign that I was praying for him, I decided to throw down some of my thoughts.

I would be completely relieved that I made the switch from briefs to boxers
I would realize farily quickly that I had married up.
Probably spend a serious amount of time contemplating why I had indeed decided not to get my back hair lasered at 32.
Secretly disappointed that I had never sported a mankini at the wave pool.
Extremely glad that I stopped listening to the Nylons
Like when did wearing "thongs" move from your feet to a small thread between your butt cheeks?

I am pretty sure I would also think out loud...

I wonder why I have not stepped out and taken some more risks?
How come I have never traveled as much as I have wanted to?
Why is my relationship with Christ not deeper?
Why did I sometimes sacrifice family for work?
What do I not give more?

That's just me, but what about you... What would you say?

2 comments:

  1. I just figured this out this week, but I would tell the younger version of me.

    "Do not let money be your number one reason for doing anything."

    Not sure I would have listened, but then at least I could have told myself, I told you so.(Not sure if that even makes sense)

    Scott P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Scott. Makes sense. You told you so.

    ReplyDelete