Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lost

When Katheryn (Katy) Hudson was 15 years old she wrote the lyrics to this song called “Trust in Me.”  It was the first track released off her first album.

“Trust In Me”

How could I see you when I was so blind
How could I grasp you when I was far behind
How could I hear you when I was so deaf
How could I get up when I had been left


But You said, "don’t worry"
For I’ve healed the blind man
And I’ve set the captives free
And You said, "don’t worry"
For all you’ve gotta do
Is put your trust in Me


How could I be clean when I was so dirty
How could I be made whole when I was torn apart
Make me whole, make me whole
Make me whole again

Although the album was musically and lyrically strong, and the critics loved what she offered, it didn’t translate into sales. That was not Katy's style.

Katy grew up in a home of pastors. Both her mom and dad were ministers. She grew up singing cause, as Katy shares,  "Her dad would pay her $10 to sing for them at every function, potluck and picnic. Conversely, during my childhood, my parents gave me $10 to be quiet and not do something embarassing again. Katy didn’t have a lot of exposure to what her parents called “secular” music. That is until one day when she found a “Queen” album at a friends house. It was at that moment, Katy says, “The heavens opened up and saved me.” The lyrics and musicality of what they were all about has guided her to today. 10 years later. A new name, a new persona. Her first single, “I kissed a girl” shot her to the moon in the land of popular music – helping her sell 2 million albums with the single itself downloaded over 6 million times. Other songs like “Hot & Cold,” and “Waking up in Vegas” ring in your head.  Katy is a true artist, penning the words to her own songs.  Not scared to put her life story to words, she says that “Every single one of my songs is drawn 100% directly from my life.”  And based on albums sales, apparently it's how many people feel.

It’s amazing what 10 years of life can do… On her platinum album “One of the Boys” Katy Perry, wrote these words to the song “Lost”:

“Lost”


I'm out on my own again
Face down in the porcelain
Feeling so high but looking so low
Party favors on the floor
Group of girls banging on the door
So many new fair-weather friends

[CHORUS]
Have you ever been so lost
Known the way and still so lost


Caught in the eye of a hurricane
Slowly waving goodbye like a pageant parade
So sick of this town pulling me down
My mother says I should come back home but
Can't find the way cause the way is gone
So if I pray am I just sending words into outer space


Have you ever been so lost
Known the way and still so lost
Another night waiting for someone to take me home
Have you ever been so lost


Is there a light
Is there a light
At the end of the road
I'm pushing everyone away
'Cause I can't feel this anymore
Can't feel this anymore

I wonder what happened in those 10 years?  What made Katy say I just can’t handle this anymore – God can’t handle this anymore. She had 14 years of learning about God. I wonder if that was just it. I wonder if it just stopped there.

Maybe you find yourself somewhere in the honest words penned by this poet.  Maybe that is exactly your struggle today.  God where are you?  How come things didn't work out the way I planned?  

Have you ever been so lost

Known the way and still so lost

My mother says I should come back home but
Can't find the way cause the way is gone

Maybe the truth still lingers in your head and heart but it seems gone.. lost.  
 
But if you say them, you have to be willing to accept the answer.  In her own words, Katy is having a difficult time doing that.  That's just it.  Sometimes it takes putting ego side.  Sometimes it's just a matter of taking some time to check the spiritual tanks.  Have I been running on empty but expecting fuel?  Sometimes it means accepting that there is a God and that he loves you. 
 
Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong;

for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
(Psalm 37:1-7)
 
Where are you at today?

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Scott. It's amazing what truths a musicians lyrics can reveal about them. It makes me wonder sometimes if that is their intention or if it just happens to turn out that way. It's pretty powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete