Monday, March 15, 2010

Lyrical Poetry

I am an awesome dad.  Well, that's what I always tell myself when I have to take my 3 kids to the wave pool without my wife.  Kind of a "we're here to pump you up" type of deal.  (I completely realize I dated myself with that phrase and that 66% of the 7 people that read this blog have no clue what I am talking about...but you know what?  I am an awesome dad so there)

I love our local wave pool/leisure centre but I hate the family change room stalls.  Frankly, you mind as well be hanging out in the breezes with the amount of privacy those things provide.  The door gaps are so big that you could literally fit a small child through them.  So you have to use like 7 towels to cover yourself as you change, and one always falls on the floor which is completely revolting (are change room floors not the most vile thing ever?)  You are trying to be descreet and everyone is staring at your hiney pointing and laughing. 

Anyway, as I was driving my kids to the wave pool peep show this past weekend, I heard this song on the radio.



I am student of culture.  I love listening to its creative voices.  Art, film, photography and song.  The heartbeat of society is so oftern found within these creative voices.  Today's generation speaks so clearly within these mediums.   Got me to thinking that it would be sweet to focus a week on some of these voices.
The vid above is from Young Artists For Haiti.  All Canadian musicians, most of them under the age of 40.  It is K'naan's song "Wavin' Flag."   He rewrote the lyrics specifically for earthquake relief in Haiti.  In the video, Drake raps the following lyric:

"Uhh – well alright
How come when the media stops covering
and there’s a little help from the government
we forget about the people still struggling
and assume that its really all love again, nahh
see we don’t have to wait for things to break apart
if you weren’t involved before it’s never too late to start
you probably think that it’s too far to even have to care
well take a look at where you live what if it happened there?
you have to know the urge to make a change lies within
and we can be the reason that we see the flag rise again."

I was prety challegend by the line, "You probably think that it's too far to even have to care, well take a look at where you live what if it happened there?"  Man, there are so many times I separate myself from tragedies that are far away.  I don't know if it is just a coping mechanism or if I am too caught up in surviving my own life or maybe it's just easier that way.  I am reminded again and again that because I live in this global village I do not have that luxury.  I am not an island unto myself.  I have got to enter into people's lives right here on my street or whatever street, or country or village they are from. 

Lamentations 3:22-23 interjects hope for my day - hope that I can pass on in the midst of whatever I am confronted with (from The Message):

"God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up.  They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness!  I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over). He's all I've got left."

C.S. Lewis said it so well in his book The Problem of Pain: “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain; it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

So for today, what do you need to wake up to?  Are you listening to the voice of culture or would you prefer to be deaf?

Today is the day to be an active participant in a world desperately needing hope.

1 comment:

  1. Great message Scott, and so true about family change rooms all over the city. Although in reality no one cares about us, it is only our own ego that says people are looking at me.

    Blessings

    Rowe Family (Hwy 33 rocks - now who is dating themselves)

    ReplyDelete