Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Of meatballs and ice cream cones

I don't know why, but it seems like I have never ending "adventures" (yes, let's call them "adventures", cause if not, I would be calling them "trips on the highway to insanity." Although, come to think of it, I am not waking up at 6:00am ready for another day of being a proctologist. Let's get serious, what causes some of the most intelligent people we have going to choose that specialty. Are they paid a handsome bonus in Med School? If you become a Procto Docto we'll kick in podiatry for free. Foot and bum, could you imagine that? Mind you, being a urologist might be worse. I could not do that. Just couldn't. I believe I would cry myself to sleep... why, why didn't I become a pediatrician???? I digress.)

After all that, believe it or not, I am not going to be telling the story from this past weekend about West Edmonton Mall, the wedding I performed, the hotel I passed called "Tell-a-Frend," nor the tale of Caedyn (another one I know.. but I'm not a proctologist - said with a high cheery voice...) being awake from midnight until 4:30am for no reason and with no apparent side effects the next day. Unreal)

The other day Caedyn is having a play day with one of her best friends Ava. We are on the way back from picking Ava up to bring her over to our place. Caedyn requests to watch Cloudy with a chance of meatballs... and this is the conversation which ensued:
Caedyn: "Watch this Ava, this is where the ice cream cones come out of the sky!"
Ava: "I love ice cream cones!"
Caedyn: "I am going to jump into the movie and eat them Ava"
Ava: "Me to! But we better not eat all of them or we'll get a tummy ache."

I love it. "Better not eat all of them or we'll get a tummy ache." Priceless.

Childlike wonder mixed with great advice... The worlds of reality and fantasy fused together seemlessly.

Got me to thinking about that fusion. How often I get caught up doing what an adult is supposed to do. I can get so wrapped up in being responsible and efficient that I forget to dream, forget to create, forget to enjoy the moment. Spontaneity becomes a bother rather than a thrill. You start to look for God only in what you can see or control rather than in the unexpected.

When is last time you allowed childlike wonder to jump into your day?

Here is where the beauty of Ava's analysis of fantasy world living arrives. Stay too long in a dream world, ignore the realities that are hard to face (or that ones you don't want to face), and you'll usually end up getting a tummy ache.

I don't know about you, but it's sunny outside and I am thinking it's a good time for a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone (or 2 but only 2 or I get really bad gas.. was that too much information?)

2 comments:

  1. You were in Edmonton and did not call?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "you were in town and did not call" thing. Because that call plays out so well when you say, "We're in town, but actually have no time to visit with you"

    ReplyDelete